Occupational Therapy

Occupational therapists treat injured, ill, or disabled patients through the therapeutic use of everyday activities.

Checkout KU's Occupational Therapy Program

Occupational Therapy at a Glance

An Occupational Therapist works with patients who have conditions that are mentally, physically, developmentally, or emotionally disabling. They help these patients develop, recover, or maintain the skills needed for daily living and working. The goal of an occupational therapist is to help patients with medical issues and complications to live more independently.

Core 34 Pre-Admission Coursework:  Check Sheet (PDF)Accessible Check Sheet (PDF)

Core Pre-Admission Coursework:  Check Sheet (PDF)Accessible Check Sheet (PDF)

References: Three references are required for most programs.  Many programs require an academic reference and some require a reference from an Occupational Therapist.  KU does not specifically require an academic reference or a reference from an OT. 

Shadowing Experience or Introductory Course: None required for KU, but still recommended to ensure a good understanding of the profession.  Other programs do require it. 

Working or Volunteering with People with Special Needs: Highly recommended 

Healthcare Experience: Recommended and should include patient contact 

Community Service/Leadership Experience: Recommended 

Research Experience: Not required 

Pre-Admission Standardized Tests: KU does not require the Graduate Record Examination (GRE), but it is required by some programs 

Student Organizations: Pre-OT Club, International Pre-Health Sciences Organization, Delta Epsilon Mu (co-ed healthcare fraternity), University of Kansas Women in Medicine, Future Leaders in Healthcare 


Application Window: July 21-October 1 for regular decision; August 31 for early decision 

Resume Required: No 

Centralized App Service: Occupational Therapy Centralized Application Service (OTCAS) 

Early Decision Option: Yes, for Kansas residents only 

Interview Required: Yes 

Rolling Admissions: No