KU Nursing Admission: Bachelor of Science in Nursing
Application Due - October 1st, opens on July 1st
GPA Required for Application: 2.5
Competitive GPA accepted: 3.7
Special Application Requirements:
- KU accepts 126 students, 18 on the Salina campus. There is a waitlist.
- KU recieves around 325 applications a year
- Strong application characteristics - Healthcare work & experience, volunteering experience, non-healthcare volunteering, and strong leadership
- NCLEX Exam - 91% first time passing
- No interview process
- The GPA you apply with is often your transfer credit + your first year of KU courses. Keep this in mind! If a student earns a D or F in any course the spring semester after they apply, their admission is automatically rescinded.
Other Area Nursing Programs:
- Baker University
- Research College at Rockhurst
- St. Luke's
- Explore more!
Course Suggestions for Schools Outside of KU
Human Development vs Child Development
If students are planning to apply to other nursing schools, they should take Human Development instead of Child Development. KU does not offer a Human Development course, but many community colleges do – PSYC 218 at JCCC or PSYC 1014 at Barton CC or BS 260 at Butler County. Human Development will fulfill the KU Child Development requirement as well.
Washburn will accept ANTH 201 - Culture and Health - for their Cultural Anthropology requirement. KU's cultural anthropology is now a 300 level course. ANTH 201 may be a better option.
If needing Pathophysiology, it's offered as LIFE 1422 at Barton County CC or BIOL 227 at JCCC (online).
If needing Pharmacology, it's offered as PHRM at Barton CC or BIOL 240 at JCCC (online).
Kansas City Kansas Community College offers online Physiology labs as BIOL 0272.
Reapplying? Here are some tips!
- Retake science courses (if needed) to boost science GPA
- Get CNA certification and get experience working as a CNA. It holds more weight than volunteering. Check the Resources page for listings in the area!
- Study Abroad! Having more experience with diverse cultures and working with people who are from different cultures helps. We love global awareness.
- Complete a Bachelor's Degree
- Find better recommendation letter sources