PreOccupational Therapy Curriculum:
Occupational Therapy is a track made up of pre-requisite courses you complete along with a major of your choice. This prepares you for admission into an Occupational Therapy Doctoral program.
**This was previously a Masters program but Fall 18’ will be last admitted round for the Master’s program. Information below refers to the Doctoral Program.
A bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution must be completed prior to start of program classes. The degree can be in any field, but course work must have included the specific MOT prerequisites: abnormal psychology, human development, statistics, ethics.
- Anatomy and lab must have been taken within the last 5 years.
- Students should take BIOL 240 before BIOL 246 if possible.
- HEIM 230: Medical Terminology can be taken before admission into program. Be aware there are additional course fees as it is offered through the Med Center campus online.
- Course Repeat Policy is not accepted.
- Credit/NoCredit is not allowed for courses in the PreOT track.
- Minimum transfer grade accepted is a C.
- Human Development is now required instead of Child Development. KU does not offer this course, however you can find it at most local community colleges. Titles include: Human or Lifespan Development, Developmental Psychology can fulfill this requirement as long as it covers the entire lifespan.
- OT will accept a combined anatomy and physiology course to fulfill both requirements as long as it was for 8 credit hours and included a lab.
Who's my PreOT Advisor?
You will be considered a student in whatever major you choose with the addition of your "Pre-Occupational Therapy" interest code.
If you are still exploring majors or are a Pre-Professional student your advising home will be the Undergraduate Advising Center, 785.864.2834 - EXPLORE.KU.EDU
You will be advised by Robin Merritt.
If you have selected a major you will be advised within your major department. However, you are still welcome to meet with Robin regarding your PreOT requirements!