PreNursing Curriculum: Bachelor of Science in Nursing
Nursing is a major that you complete by taking 2 years of pre-nursing classes required for application to a Nursing School, and then once admitted, you complete the final 2+ years of your degree in a Nursing School.
- Anatomy and Physiology are okay to take in the same semester. They complement each other and it is not unusual to take both classes in the same semester.
- One semester of college chemistry is recommended before students take BIOL 200/203. BIOL 200/203 is only offered in the Spring.
- BIOL 246 and BIOL 247 are only offered in the fall.
- Course Repeat Policy not observed
- Minimum accepted transfer grade is a C
- Credit/NoCredit - KU Core and electives only. Do not take Math courses Credit/NoCredit.
- KU CORE: Students will do KU Core goals 1.2, 2.1, 2.2, 3H, 3S, 3N, 4.1, and 4.2 in Lawrence. If admitted to the School of Nursing, they will complete goals 1.1, 5, and 6 there.
- Goal 2.2 - only COMS 130, 131, 132, or 133 are accepted.
- KU School of Nursing will not accept a combined Anatomy and Physiology course that is less than 8 credit hours to fulfill both the anatomy and physiology requirements.
- If a student has taken a combined A/P course that is less than the 8 credit hours this can be used to fulfill the anatomy requirement only; the student will still need to complete physiology and lab again.
- Note: if a student has taken two semesters of A&P (i.e. A&P 1 and A&P 2, both at least four credit hours each at the same institution), they have satisfied both the anatomy/lab and physiology requirements.
- If a student only takes A&P 1 from another school, they must either take A&P 2 from the same institution OR they must take both BIOL 240/241 and BIOL 246 at KU; this will ensure that the entire body was covered in their coursework.
- The same is true if the student only takes A&P 2 from another school – they must then take A&P 1 from the same school OR take both anatomy/lab and physiology from KU.
- The School of Nursing will also accept HSES 310 (stats course required by AT, Ex Science, and Community Health) and DSCI 202 to fulfill the Statistics requirement.
- No online science labs accepted
Who's my PreNursing Advisor?
Your advising home will be in the Undergraduate Advising Center - you are considered a PreNursing student! Contact the UAC or you can contact Cindy Majher at KUMC to talk more about PreNursing, it's curriculum and the application process. Cindy holds office hours each semester at the Lawrence Campus in the UAC. Call 785-864-2834 to find out more!